Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Phyllo, brie, peaches, honey and walnuts

We both recently ordered an appetizer consisting of backed brie wrapped in phyllo with a sweet walnut sauce. It was so good that I thought I would try to reproduce it at home. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the brie, but I was hesitant about the walnut sauce. So I went with something more familiar - a peach, walnut and honey sauce.

Peach Walnut sauce Phyllo brie


They turned out well. So well that I thought I would post the recipes here. Food like this should be shared.

There aren't any tricks to these - they are pretty much what you would expect. If you haven't worked with phyllo pastry before just remember to thaw it out completely and keep everything covered except the pieces you are working with.

Baked Brie in Phyllo (serves 2)

4 sheets of phyllo
1/2 small round of brie cut in half (and de-rind if you don't like the rind)
2 tbsp of butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 375F

Place one sheet of phyllo on your workspace. Brush butter over it. Put the second sheet on top and butter it. Repeat until you run out of phyllo.

Cut the stack into two squares. Place a piece of brie in the center of each square and bring up the edges like a little package, being careful not to tear the phyllo. Squeeze the phyllo at the top to it stays and toss it in the oven (on a cookie sheet) for about 25 minutes (or until the phyllo is brown)

Peach, walnut and honey sauce makes enough to go with the brie

1/4 cup walnuts (pecans would work well too)
2 tbsp butter
2 small peaches (or one large one), cut into pieces
2 tbsp honey

In a metal bowl or on a cookie sheet, toast the walnuts in the oven for about 10 minutes, stirring once.

Melt the butter over medium heat. When the foam subsides, toss in the peaches and gently cook just until the peaches are getting soft. Stir in the honey and remove from heat

When the walnuts are toasted and the brie is done and plated, mix the walnut with the peach sauce and then spoon over the brie (or beside if you are like my wife)


That's it for a quick and classy appetizer. You could make the wrapped brie and sauce in advance if you wanted to server more than a couple of people and then just bake the brie and warm the sauce before you eat.

Hmmm Hmmm good.

2 comments:

Laura B said...

sounds yummy....you'll have to show me how you make it sometime, along with the leeks au gratin! :D

Tim Berezny said...

While I'm sure it's tasty, that first picture scared me for a moment... at first glance it looks somewhat... intestinal :)

Although I'm sure my taste-buds would thank me for eating it.