Thursday, May 03, 2007

Julie and Pete's Chicken Salad

I told you I would get back to cooking posts and I'm here to make good on that. Tonight I present Julie+Pete's Chicken Salad.


I don't know if it has a real name, but we got the recipe from my sister and her husband, so that's what we call it at home. They're the lovely couple to your right (their left). We make this salad once or twice a month - it should be more really - it's soooo good and it's pretty healthy. It's not ultra quick, but it's 45 minutes quick, which is short enough for most nights when Tara goes to the barn before coming home from school.

I've modified it a little from the recipe we were given. Tara likes it with whole wheat pasta, I like regular white pasta. We usually have whole wheat, but tonight I make it with veggie pasta - mmmm good.

The recipe can look daunting but trust me when I tell you it's not as long as it looks.

Julie and Pete's Chicken Salad

Marinade
1/4 C soy sauce
1 tsp sugar or honey
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Dressing
2 tbsp vinegar (white, balsamic, or wine - whatever we feel like that night)
1/4 C olive oil
3 tbsp sugar or honey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Salad
2 Chicken breasts
3 C cooked rottini
4 handfuls of salad greens
1 C crumbed feta
2 tomatoes , chopped
handful of olives (optional)

To make the chicken
1. Mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over chicken. Let them marinate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from marinade and cook. I like to pan fry them and then bake them for 10 minutes until done. You could also grill them or just bake them. Don't try to poach them...
2a. You can cook the pasta now, if you don't have any made already. Toss with a spoonful of dressing when done.
3. Let the breasts rest after removing them from the heat and slice them with the grain.

To make the dressing
1. Mix all the ingredients together

To make the salad
1. Split the greens over two plates
2. Split the pasta in two and put in top of greens
3. Put slices chicken on top of greens
4. Put tomatoes on top of chicken
5. Put cheese and olives on top of tomatoes
6. Drizzle with dressing.

No comments: