Sunday, April 01, 2007

Say hello to my little friend (and her big brother)

We made, um, a couple of purchases this weekend.


The on the left is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30. It's for Tara at school. She needs to start logging the eyes she sees and taking pictures of them is one aspect of it. We chose the Lumix because of it's size (it's tiny) and because it has a pretty good hand stabilization. The camera is actually made by Leica - pretty cool. We tried it out on our cats and the pictures turned out well. It's a good replacement for our old Canon (which has seen better days). Plus, now when we go on vacation we'll have two compact cameras, which should prevent some of our fistfights.

The one on my right is a gift from the tax man. I went with my gut and found a Nikon D70s. I thought I would have to find one second hand, but I popped into the mall this afternoon (to get fitted for a suit) and I though I'd head over to Black's to see if they have anything worthwhile. Lo-and-behold they had one D70s left and I got it for a decent price (not great, but I was willing to spend a bit more to avoid the ebay scene). I got both the body and the kit lens (18-70mm).

Anyways - it's been a busy last half of the day, so I wasn't able to really test the puppy out, but here are a few from the Nikon (taken by yours truly) and a few from the Panasonic (taken by my lovely wife)

Nikon


Lumix

2 comments:

George said...

Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Welcome to the club! The photograph with the light bulbs is excellent. I look forward to seeing more of the same. And the Lumix also looks like a fantastic purchase.

Ryan said...

And the Nikon club has increased by one...and a very welcome addition. You'll be very happy with the D70S, it has served me well for this past year.

And if I were buying a new point & shoot I'd be looking at the Lumix as well. :)