Monday, September 11, 2006

2 new things I love

Two new things I love.

1. Jars of Clay album Who we are instead. I know the CD has been out for almost 3 years now, but we just picked it up (or rather downloaded it from itunes). The album is more bluegrass (if that's the right word) then previous albums. It has the wonderful ability to make you feel happy and melancholy at the same time. It you enjoyed Jars early works but haven't bought any of their stuff recently, I highly recommend it.

Their new album Good Monsters has had some pretty critical acclaim, but I haven't listened to it enough to decide for myself.

2. Gridwars 2 (download). I'm not much of a gamer. Sure I have an XBox and a few games, but that was a gift from work - I would have never bought it for myself. But this game is something special. It is quick and twitchy, but there is also strategy and thinking. If you have a relatively recent machine and you want a quick diversion, grab the game (while it is still available).

Tonight I have wasted about an hour on it already. My highest score is in the low 300k.

4 comments:

Snides said...

I REALLY want to get the new Jars cd. My copy of CCM magazine just came in yesterday, and they were all over it, calling it "album of the year" and possibly the best Christian album done in years.

So, yeah, I think they liked it.

No comment on the game. The last game I played that involved a screen just may have been in Florida when I was 16 years old and I played a game of Pac Man.

Richard Siemens said...

I actually downloaded the CD just last night.

I normally need to listen to a CD 3 or 4 times before I can make a decision about how much I like it. I've had Good Monsters on repeat all morning (it's gone around 3 times or so) but being at work - it is just background noise so far.

The tunes a kinda catchy but most of the tracks feel very "full" - kinda like how commercial audio feels "full". I think I need to really listen to it and pay attention to it. Then I'll be able to make a better judgment.

Anonymous said...

I'll comment on the game. T'is a hobby of mine....no, I'm not 16...I'll hang my head in shame later. =)

From those screen shots it looks like a psychedelic mess of fast paced neon lights. My friend, I think you're experiencing the effects of LSD without the actual drugs themselves. Beware the epileptic seizures and you should be fine.

Been playing Prince of Persia:The Two Thrones myself. Third person puzzle game with a bit combat. Not too shabby. Thinking of trying LEGO Star Wars II...you can mix and match people pieces for your character. All bow down to Chewvader, or maybe Darthbacca??

Richard Siemens said...

So, how do you know if you are have an psychedelic experiance?