Saturday, February 23, 2008

Two new salads

Salad 1: Avocado Grapefruit Salad

This salad came by way of my coworker Ana*. It's an ultra simple recipe; it's so simple that you may feel you don't want to try it. I urge you to resist that feeling. The salad will surprise you.

If you don't' like avocado, this recipe isn't for you. If you don't think you like avocado, then try this and re-evaluate that thought.

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado, with shell and pit removed
1 ripe ruby red grapefruit, sectioned
1 pinch of salt

Steps:
a. Mix avacado, grapefruit and salt
b. Eat



Salad 2: Roasted beet and cauliflower salad

I had an amazing salad last night at a little restaurant in Guelph. It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce as I could identity most of the ingredients. I'm going to try to re-create it this weekend and post the results, but in case I don't get a chance and you want to try it here are the ingredients:

a. beets, cubed (1cm3) and roasted
b. cauliflower, small florets only, also roasted
c. gorgonzola cheese
d. toasted walnuts
e. baby spinach
f. sesame vinaigrette

The salad was presented warm, with the spinach oh so very lightly wilted. It was truly amazing, the best salad I have had in a long long time.

The main course at the restaurant was interesting: I had a pizza topped with pulled pork, mango, tomato, onion and feta. The pizza wasn't good but it wasn't bad either. It took the whole pizza for my mouth to get used to the odd combination of moist pulled pork and the sweetish mango. It wasn't bad, but the best word I can use to describe it is interesting.

* I just found out recently that Ana makes the awesome jewelry I see her wearing. If you are looking for something to buy for your loved one (or yourself), you should check her out (shop, blog).

No comments: